MENU

Saturday, July 30, 2016

BEING A GEOBABE: SEVERAL OBSERVATIONS ABOUT WOMEN IN THE GEOSCIENCES

A Chihuly sculpture and the needle in Seattle, WA!

Lucky me, I’m celebrating the end of my full-time consulting job with a trip! My husband took me to Seattle for one of his conferences, so I get to relax poolside and explore the city while he works! Well, we’re finally going to do some hiking this weekend, so this is finally going to start feeling like a vacation for him too!

Taking a break from all the relaxing, I decided to write about geobabes, that is, women who are into the geosciences.  

The term geobabe originally came from my group of friends at my college’s Geology Department. It stuck with me because I appreciate that it is a fun and simple way to celebrate women and femininity in a traditionally male and masculine academic field. I have to say, though, that women are doing well and are strong in the geosciences. At the same time, we are still in a world where gender norms still affect all aspects in life. As a geologist working up a career, there are a lot of women in the field that mentor me and I feel so lucky for that.

But there are other aspects of being a woman in geology that I have noticed as well. As much as I love the generally welcoming and open nature in the geologist community, I’m also noticing there is a distinctly masculine energy that pervades the culture and that there is little room for femininity. Some might say that many aspects of stereotypically feminine traits might be backwards or demeaning towards women, but as a self-proclaimed feminist, I like to think that women are truly free when they can land anywhere on the feminine-masculine spectrum that they want. Plus, if masculinity is venerated, or even simply allowed to be the standard, that’s still creating the underlying assumption that male-oriented behavior and culture is somehow superior like it’s the standard that everyone should follow.

For example, I love painting my nails, and I’ll often have my nails done out in the field while I’m working. I have received more than a handful of judgmental comments from coworkers, being mostly men, on how I work with my nails done and whether it’s appropriate. Always graciously, I respond with saying something like my painted nails don’t affect my safety or my work product. These interactions always make me a little uncomfortable because those around me are still so ready to look beyond my work’s credibility to focus on what makes me different. That critical eye makes it that much harder to gain a solid reputation in a woman’s career.

Just last week, a woman came up to be during a professional meeting and mentioned as an aside, as if she was trying to help me, that “my look” makes it harder for people to take me seriously. I was quite surprised by this comment, considering that I always maintain the highest degree of professionalism, and I asked her to elaborate. She literally said that I come off as a “pretty girl,” and apparently that’s not ok in her book. I think probably what she meant is that I’m very feminine, with long hair, makeup, and dresses, and it’s simply harder to take feminine women more seriously.

Coming away from that interaction was certainly difficult because it made me question my credibility in the eyes of others. Especially since it came from a woman, making me aware of how critical women can be of one another. But I came to the conclusion that I can’t change the assumptions that someone might make upon seeing me at face value. I’m very happy and comfortable being what some people might describe as “too feminine,” and as much as I want to be taken seriously, I’m going to get that respect through my work, not my looks.


So, to all my geobabes out there, in all your various glorious shades, stay strong and keep finding those cool rocks. 

No comments :

Post a Comment