MENU

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

WHEN A NEPHEW SUES A RAP TYCOON


So, I had quite a lovely time in the Pacific Northwest, and as a geologist, I was drooling over all the glacial geologic features and volcanics. While S drove us up and down Mount Rainier, I would often say something like, “Oh, look! A moraine! That’s totally a moraine!” And S would usually respond with something like, “Oh, okay.” Made me realize how many random, unsolicited facts a geologist’s spouse gets exposed to. Photos to follow soon, I promise!

Anyway, during the drive, I figured I would write a quick post about two music tycoons that I love: Egyptian composer Baligh Hamdi and king of the American rap industry, Mr. Shawn Carter, also known as Jay-Z.  These two have an unexpected connection. Can you guess what it is?

I love Jay-Z with pretty devoted loyalty. Growing up in New Jersey, I remember hearing him in about every other song on the radio. He, along with his charming wife Beyonce, defined my childhood. I remember being violently ill and home from school the day his song Big Pimpin came out. It was so catchy, and I think the only thing that made me feel better:

 

As for Baligh Hamdi, it took me several years into my obsession with Arabic music to understand that he literally composed about half of the Arabic songs from the sixties that I love. Take this hit, Khosara Khosara, which means “loss, loss” in Arabic:




If you listen to both songs, you might notice that they sound really [exactly] alike. So can you guess the connection between the two music legends? If you guessed that they were in a copyright lawsuit, you’re completely right! More specifically, Hamdi’s nephew sued Jay-Z and Big Pimpin’s producer Timbaland, saying that they sampled from Khosara Khosara without the proper adherence to Egyptian morality laws. I remember hearing about this lawsuit last year and being surprised by the unlikely connection. During our drive, when both songs somehow magically played back-to-back, I thought to check the status of the lawsuit, and learned that a judge threw out the case. It seems like the judgement made sense, especially since Timbaland went through all the standard legal processes and paid the Egyptian record label to get a license for sampling Hamdi’s original Khosara Khosara.

Anyway, during the drive, we also listened to this really interesting episode from the Switched On Pop podcast called “Around the World with Drake.” The podcast brought up a lot of thought-provoking points on how cultural appropriation happens through music. It reminded me of how appropriation can negatively impact a culture by fading its heritage. I thought of how Hamdi, who’s this musical legend in the Middle East, created such a catchy sound, and yet he is barely being recognized for it today. Specifically for the Middle East, which is already a very misunderstood and under-appreciated region, it’s unfortunate that the culture’s many positive impacts on the wider world aren’t fully recognized. That’s why I’m such a big fan of sharing Arabic music in all its diversity. So if you’re looking for more Arabic music sources, follow my station on Spotify and click on the “MUSIQA” tab on my blog for all my music-related posts!

No comments :

Post a Comment