MENU

Monday, September 5, 2016

Active Rain Gear


Happy Labor Day guys! My weekend has been lovely so far, but I’m preparing for some wet days ahead because my advisor would like me to go out and sample some wells in the middle of Tropical Storm Hermine. So, in preparation, I've been going through some photos of my time in Maine with my Dad and S, and I realized that it tends to be really tricky to prepare for rain. It can dampen anyone's camping plans, and it can be especially difficult to stay dry if you’re being active outside.

For my trip to Maine, even though the weather forecast predicted almost zero percent chance of rain, I decided to pack a few things just in case, and I'm so glad I did! Because, of course, the Maine weather completely flipped and we ended up getting several full days of rain. So I was really glad I brought a few things with me. Here’s an outfit I wore one day:


That day turned out to be pretty chilly with on-and-off rain, so I’m glad I had my three-season North Face rain jacket. I originally got it at Nordstrom Rack for about $50; I couldn't find any comparative online pricing but NR's online store still has a steep discount. It has so many great features, like the fact that it is basically two jackets in one! Each layer connects to the other, but can be worn separately. The inner puffy shell creates warmth on those cold, rainy days, but I can always wear it without the outer waterproof jacket. Vice versa, if it’s a warmer day, I can wear the waterproof layer by itself, which is what I decided to do on that rainy day in Maine.


My pants from that day are also from North Face (I got them for something like $30 at Nordstrom Rack - this is the closest sale I could find online). I like them because they’re really loud, which means you’re very easy to spot in potentially dangerous situations, like bike riding on a busy road or out hiking near or during hunting season. I also like them because, though they’re not waterproof, they breath really well, which is nice on humid, rainy days.



That day, after a hike, we were just hanging around Bar Harbor, grabbing some lobster rolls and seeing a movie. But, most days I’m outside in the rain, I usually wear an outfit like this. And I’d offer a few tips for dealing with wet and wild days:

1.)    Invest in a waterproof jacket. For me, enjoying a rainy day outside really depends on keeping my core warm and dry.
2.)    Wear non-cotton bases. I often do not wear waterproof pants, though I hear a lot of people prefer them. Instead, I’m happy let my legs get a bit soggy in spandex or nylon-based materials because I prefer unrestricted movement and I feel like most rain pants feel bulky. No matter the preference, stick to non-cotton bases so that your body can regulate its temperature as best as possible. Plus, I kind that non-cotton materials are often water-repellant anyway!
3.)    Find a solid pair of waterproof hiking boots. Even though I’m fine with soggy legs, I must absolutely have dry feet, so it’s important for me to have waterproof boots. I’ve noticed that dry feet also prevent nasty blisters, so I’d highly recommend finding boots like these that are waterproof.
4.)    Prioritize the parts of the body that make you feel happiest when they’re dry. Rain gear tends to be bulky or difficult to move in, unfortunately. So I often find that I’m happy to go “waterproof-free” on a few things, like my pants, just so I have more physical flexibility.
5.)    Be ready to get a little soggy. For me, I’ve noted that it’s important not to get alarmed if a bit a water does somehow end up getting into my clothes. Especially on windy days, even with waterproof clothes, rain has a knack for getting up sleeves and down collars. So I prepare for that, and I a) try to have a towel and a change of dry clothes nearby, and b) don’t let a soggy bottom bum me out.

So good luck with all your puddle stomping adventures, and wish me luck too!

No comments :

Post a Comment