MENU

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Spray-painting: the Grad Student’s Ultimate Furniture Refurbishing Tool


Happy September, you guys! We’re getting closer to autumn weather, which for me up here in New England means fresh, crisp air and crunchy leaves for me to stomp while I walk around campus. For a lot of student (including me) it also means moving into new spaces and finding furniture. I’m a big fan of inexpensive, reused furniture, so I figured I would talk about my new favorite thing to do on the weekends, which is spray paint!


 
As a student on a budget, it’s now my go-to method for changing an outdated wooden piece into a fresh, stylish addition. Last week, for example, my housemate and I found this table and this magazine rack in need of some TLC at the Salvation Army.



I had a vision of painting the table white as our new coffee table, and the news rack with with a gold accent on the slats. So on a sunny day I took both of them outside, cleaned each of them thoroughly, and sanded the table down (it had a super thick varnish on it). Then I put one even layer of white paint both on the table and the news rack. I think the most important thing to remember is to get as even of a layer, and wait about ten to fifteen minutes between each layer to let it dry and set just a bit.



The gold slats were the hardest thing. I had to cover all the other parts with painting tape and paper towel.



But, in a weird feat, I engineered my paper towel contraption so that the gold (mostly) ended up on the slats.


So I would highly recommend spray painting as a cheap way to “refurbish” a piece of wooden furniture. If you’re interested in trying it out, I have a few tips: try to spray on a day with low humidity, only spray outside with lots of ventilation, and make sure to paint on either grass or a completely covered surface. Good luck to all you students with the beginning of the school year!



No comments :

Post a Comment